View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canaryville
Admiral

re: PvP Gunship - Round 1

I only caught Hajal's post a bit ago.

Canary

---------

I've made a first set of changes to try to improve the pvp balance for gunships. It will probably be some time before it hit's TC and TC-Prime but I wanted to get the discussion started.

1) Non-missile damage caused by another player ship will be reduced to 25% of what's currently on live (So in addition to the existing PvP damage reduction).

2) I got a proto-type working for a 'ionized flash' ability working. The idea is that the ability will get all opposing PvP players within 100m (the range is currently a placeholder and can be changed easily). If, after 3 seconds, the player is still within 100m range of the gunship, the targets engine will be turned off for 5 seconds.

The idea is that this will allow the gunship to force hull huggers away and make them an easier target, but at the same time it won't work against opposing ships making strafing or bombing runs. You have to be and stay close to the gunship for several seconds to be hit.

In response to some of the comments from the previous thread centered on interceptors equipping high end missile tubes and attacking gunships. I honestly don't see this as a problem. Interceptors should be able to attack gunships, they should be hard to hit by turrets. With the reduction in gun damage and 'counter hull hugging' ability the ints small size will be countered by their low damage output. They will be harder to hit but will have to remain in the gunships field of fire for a much longer time to have a chance to kill the gunship.

Another common idea was that gunships should be so well defended that it wouldn't be possible to kill it without X numbers of coordinated fighters. I disagree with this. It should be up to the gunships pilot and crew to make sure that they don't get killed. Just like an A-Wing is only hard to hit if the pilot is flying fast and evasively, a gunship should only be really tough to kill if the pilot and crew make it so.

Last but not least. PLEASE try to keep the personal attacks and insults out of this posts, it's gotten so bad lately that it's starting to undermine the pilot forums. Agree and disagree with both me and each other but cut out the insults. They don't help anyone and they just make it harder for everyone to try and identify the best possible solutions. I've asked the mods to keep a close eye on the thread so please... keep it clean
Joiry_

I'm glad they're trying, but, seriously, these are just crazy bandaids on a very broken system. Less than a month after it hitting live, there will be a new way to easily kill GSs.

Joiry_ wrote:
I'm glad they're trying, but, seriously, these are just crazy bandaids on a very broken system. Less than a month after it hitting live, there will be a new way to easily kill GSs.

He he...can you give them 32 days at least?
Jewelster
Lieutenant

As long as the turret speed is the same, it won't effect me. If they change it, I'll adapt.

"I'm afraid Admiral Alirc's Gunboat will still be fully armed and operational. Fire at will Jewelster!!!" ...Emperor Palpatine (Moments before the destruction of Mumat at the Battle of Tenab.
Alirc
Admiral

yeah baby

Jump to: