View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joiry_

re: EPIC Jir Rant

Alright, queue up whatever music you associate with me ranting (Rocky theme, Carmina Burana "O Fortuna", etc).

How epic-ly rant-tastic am I? How? How you ask? (yes, yes, you are asking, whether you want to or not). I'll tell you how. Other than quietly muttering "holy shit" a few times, I am so mind-bogglingly dumbfounded as to have not cursed in any other way, no F-bombs, nothing. I am literally struck curse-less. Yes, that is the level of the epicness of this all.

Now, what you ask (yeah, you're asking again) would cause such a state of being, such a Harbinger of the Apocalypse? Dubious scoring by the Imps? Retro 70s Ewok love gurus? Wookiee Zombies? Outlawing of pigtails?

I've built this up too much, haven't I? Well, I'm venting, and at least its not on vent (that's for you Krig, cringe at my puns).

Anyway, apparently STO is doing soooooo well, they've dropped the price by $10, but, more importantly, are offering new players 60 days of free gametime. Wow. Cryptic has just screwed over every Star Trek fan who had faith in the company and bought the game at release (or in the 24ish days since then).

Cryptic, I anoint thee the new SoE, for you have , in 6 months, screwed over pretty much every player who has bought one of your two, crappy, pushed out too soon games, and not just inflicted those games on the world (after all, I knew STO wouldn't be anything near what it should be, but wanted to give it a whirl), but in trying to recover from the situation, managed to make every possible bad move available.

Its not even that big of a value ($15), but just how stooooopid are they? Every, every move they make to try to fix the issues with their games comes with a super sized side order of PR disaster zone.

Edit - oh, I think I'm beyond caring now, but apparently its +60 days on top of the usual 30 free days. So that's $30 of free time, for $40, making the game essentially $10. I'd almost call that a super deal, except the game may not last the next 90 days...

PS - its probably worth nothing this rant was primed by a rather hubris and cluelessness filled State of the Game letter on Thursday. Apparently some fans "get it" and others don't, according to the devs...

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1182

(skip down to past "Beyond Update 1" for the wonderful trashing of their players who "don't get it")

We now return you to your regularly scheduled retro 70s ewok love guru.

I saw the $10 off on direct2drive, but didn't read about the 60 days... That is a good deal!

Alirc wrote:
I saw the $10 off on direct2drive, but didn't read about the 60 days... That is a good deal!

Instigator
Joiry_

Alirc wrote:

I think it may only be the version Atari is selling directly.

http://atari.com/games/startrek_online/

Just remember to enter the PvP queues a lot as a fed and let me know when, so I can decloak/sensor jam/tractor beam/pwnz0r you

Jump to: