View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Joiry_

re: swtor beta keys

I don't know if any are left, but massively has a swtor beta key giveaway, 75k keys available.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11/14/need-a-beta-key-for-star-wars-the-old-republic-how-about-75k-b/

If it hasn't blasted you across the whole interwebz, the final beta is Thanksgiving extended weekend. That's nov 25th-28th for our northern neighbors ;) ...which oddly is not quite the normal time period of thanksgiving (you'd think it'd be 24-27th...

So, I don't know if they'll do a wipe for this last beta weekend, but I was on the Nigut Road server. I chose it because the name seemed the least ''cool". Once they got the population indicators working, at least off peak hours when ever bar was full, Nigut did seem to have one of the lower populations.

I think I was on Prophecy of Fire. I'm pretty sure they'll wipe again because they'll want to stress test the initial areas to make sure nothing falls over when they go live. I'll create an Alirc character on Nigut Road if I'm able to get on for the beta.

I got my weekend invite. Bad news is I have to re-download more than 10GB in client files. Good news is the NDA is lifted.

It's going to be a usual busy non-holiday weekend for me, so I don't know how much I'll play.

Alirc wrote:
I got my weekend invite. Bad news is I have to re-download more than 10GB in client files. Good news is the NDA is lifted.

Did you just run the launcher from the previous beta? Even tho I went thru the silly rsvp thing (with the website down/busy most of the day), everytime I try to login to the swtor launcher, so it can update, tells me my account is not active. Did you have to completely reinstall?

Joiry_ wrote:
Alirc wrote:

Did you just run the launcher from the previous beta? Even tho I went thru the silly rsvp thing (with the website down/busy most of the day), everytime I try to login to the swtor launcher, so it can update, tells me my account is not active. Did you have to completely reinstall?

I did not reinstall. Hopefully I'm not supposed to, I don't want to download all that again.

That message is normal, there is a link in the account is not active message. They want you to select and answer some account security questions. You might have to wait until the swtor web site comes back up.

Yeah, I just figured that out. The problem is, if more MMOs start doing these standard security questions, I may need to create fake "persona" to answer them, because they are trending on the same territory as the personal questions for my bank account access and other vastly more important online services. I don't need those sorts of details hacked out of bioware/EA...

Joiry_ wrote:
Yeah, I just figured that out. The problem is, if more MMOs start doing these standard security questions, I may need to create fake "persona" to answer them, because they are trending on the same territory as the personal questions for my bank account access and other vastly more important online services. I don't need those sorts of details hacked out of bioware/EA...

The questions were different than the standard that I've seen... it's always mother's maiden name, or favorite vacation.... these were some I hadn't seen before.
Joiry_

Huh. Well, my credit union has gotten into things like favorite food, instrument, first pet, color, teacher, etc.

Anyway, fully patched size of game is now 36.6 gigs, sheesh. And people thought Age of Conan was excessive for 11+ gigs.

Joiry_ wrote:
Huh. Well, my credit union has gotten into things like favorite food, instrument, first pet, color, teacher, etc.

Anyway, fully patched size of game is now 36.6 gigs, sheesh. And people thought Age of Conan was excessive for 11+ gigs.

Size on the box of the original launch of AoC if I remember right was 24GB. WoW with all the expansions and a couple UI mods which can't take up MUCH space was about 27GB when I was playing.

36GB is not a stretch.
Joiry_

Balcifer wrote:

Size on the box of the original launch of AoC if I remember right was 24GB. WoW with all the expansions and a couple UI mods which can't take up MUCH space was about 27GB when I was playing.

36GB is not a stretch.

Yeah, I had AoC a few months ago, it was some 20gigs. CoH has grown to 11gigs. But AoC was still considered a ridiculous huge size. WoW - only played in beta, but I would have remembered if the original WoW was even close to 10 gigs. That has to be from expansions.

But, most games have remained below the 10gig mark, especially at release. heck, the most graphicall advanced RPG just released, Skyrim, is just 6 gigs.

Anyway, apparently I've been slotted for 10am CST on saturday when I can login. They're really staggering things. I wonder if they think they can force that on players opening day. They have some strange notions at bioware, like floating the idea of not letting you choose your server, or this whole legacy name to tie all your characters on one server together (cause, you know, a Twi and Human could totally be related).

According to my friend in the permanent beta (ongoing), the three servers they had up before this last beta have not been wiped, so maybe I can continue where I left off.

Joiry_ wrote:
Balcifer wrote:

36GB is not a stretch.

Yeah, I had AoC a few months ago, it was some 20gigs. CoH has grown to 11gigs. But AoC was still considered a ridiculous huge size. WoW - only played in beta, but I would have remembered if the original WoW was even close to 10 gigs. That has to be from expansions.

But, most games have remained below the 10gig mark, especially at release. heck, the most graphicall advanced RPG just released, Skyrim, is just 6 gigs.

Anyway, apparently I've been slotted for 10am CST on saturday when I can login. They're really staggering things. I wonder if they think they can force that on players opening day. They have some strange notions at bioware, like floating the idea of not letting you choose your server, or this whole legacy name to tie all your characters on one server together (cause, you know, a Twi and Human could totally be related).

According to my friend in the permanent beta (ongoing), the three servers they had up before this last beta have not been wiped, so maybe I can continue where I left off.

I think they said that the early start from pre-orders will be staggered according to when you claim the pre-order key.
Joiry_

Balcifer wrote:

I think they said that the early start from pre-orders will be staggered according to when you claim the pre-order key.

So there's probably no reason to preorder anymore, since you'll have been staggered back to opening day... Whatever, the amount of control EA/Bioware wants to have over its customers at all levels is just ridiculous. It seeps from every aspect of the game.

No wipe from last beta it looks. I can continue my hunt for Skavak, and maybe free myself from any desire to buy the game wink

Nigut Road is listed as "full", but only a two "full" servers have actually have queues associated with them.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: