View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Alirc
Admiral

re: air-ground combat

From the TC Notes:
Quote:

NOTE: Please help us test the new womprat target practice collection by shooting lots of them from your ships. Thanks!

And later from Teesquared:
Quote:

We are currently looking into implementing air <-> ground PvP, and hitting a ground player using ship guns will be equally (if not more) challenging, as the ground player will most likely be moving more evasively than the rats/womprats, and will also be shooting shoulder-fired missiles back at the ship. As always, subject to change/cancellation.

Now, if you shoot a ground player from your ship, will they put a ground bounty on you? Nevertheless, this sounds like more fun than the turrets at the ground battles...

i could see this being either really fun or really very not fun

Krigulv Snerra wrote:

If they get unlimited missles and the only defense is chaff, then not fun.

Joiry_ wrote:
Krigulv Snerra wrote:

If they get unlimited missles and the only defense is chaff, then not fun.

I'll bet the missiles will be some sort of faction recruiter purchased item like the mines. So in other words, only limited by inventory size/how much they want to buy.
Joiry_

Yeah, but if they carry more than 15 or 16, its game over. In fact, since there will usually be more than one ground pounder, if each is only carrying 5, and several decide to fire...well, Oppies are bad enough.

On TC:

Quote:
Atmospheric Flight Air <-> Ground PvP

* All forms of PvP (duel, BH, guild war, guild squad PvP, factional) between ground players and player ships are now enabled.
* All PvP rewards/perks are available with air <-> ground PvP (BH collect/set bounty, BH success/failure bounty collection tracking, guild war/guild squad PvP kill tracking, GCW points, GCW score contribution, PvP kill count).
* Ships shoot at ground players with ship guns, and ground players fire missiles back at ships using the newly added (actually, revived) shoulder-fired missile launcher, which is not to be confused with the existing shoulder-fired rocket launcher TCG consumable buff item, which is a totally different item.
* Purchase the shoulder-fired missile launcher from the factional recruiters or the token vendor in Aurilia.
* Load the shoulder-fired missile launcher by drag-and-dropping a player crafted missile pack onto the launcher.
* Fire the loaded shoulder-fired missile launcher at a targeted enemy ship through the launcher's radial menu, or put the launcher on the toolbar and fire it from the toolbar.
* The shoulder-fired missile launcher has a 2-3 seconds warm up time. The cooldown time is the "Refire Rate" crafted item attribute of the missile pack that was used to load the launcher.
* You can have multiple launchers, but they all share the same warm up and cooldown time.
* There is no level or profession requirement to use the shoulder-fired missile launcher.
* The shoulder-fired missile launcher is restricted from using spacebomb missile unless you are Commando profession.
* The ship gun's "Vs. Armor" rating will affect the amount of damage done to the ground player. The ship gun's "Vs. Shields" rating has no effect to the amount of damage done to the ground player.
* Just like in space, PvP reduction is applied to the damage from the ship gun and the shoulder-fired missile.
* The ground player's armor/buff/specials/abilities has no mitigation/reduction effect to the amount of damage done by ship gun.
* Vehicles/mounts/pets cannot be attacked by ship gun, but players (including passengers on multi-passenger vehicles) mounted on vehicle/mount can still be attacked by ship gun.
* Air <-> ground PvP range is 500m.
* Air <-> ground PvP uses the space ruleset (for example, for guild war kill tracking, guild war exclusion, player bounty, etc). This means that GCW score contribution earned through air <-> ground PvP will go to the corresponding space Player vs. Player and "airspace" GCW score categories.
* The /spacepvpimperial and /spacepvprebel commands cannot be used while the ship is in the Restuss PvP region airspace.
* Factional special forces player aboard same faction factional (or factional helper) PvP ship can now land directly inside the Restuss PvP region if the ship is within 150m above the terrain.
* The minimum altitude requirement inside the Restuss PvP region is no longer enforced for factional (or factional helper) PvP ship.
* New ground targeting Target Closest Enemy Ship, Target Next Enemy Ship, and Target Previous Enemy Ship commands/keymaps have been added to the Target keymap options tab. You can also directly run these commands with /ui action targetClosestEnemyShip, /ui action targetNextEnemyShip, and /ui action targetPreviousEnemyShip.

So, as I feared, ground players have unlimited missles, while ships continue to have limited chaff. Player can just reload missles as they please (and it sounds like the missles are all the space varieties minus SBs).

Basically, its suicide to go against ground targets. 3 players on the ground are like an Oppy with unlimited missles.

That's the way it sounds. If player missiles are anything like the turrets, they won't even need line-of-site. If you're within 500m and their target key finds you, they can spam missiles at you.

They still have to realize you're coming and target you. If there are multiple fighters and/or they're distracted fighting, you can swoop in.

Actually, I think it's almost balanced and interesting. Too bad I lag so bad in Restuss.

I was thinking this morning that since missile damage is boosted by weapon overload (stupid, but true), missiles fired from the ground are going to be much less damaging than the equivalent fired from a ship. Spacebombs will still hurt of course.

I suppose that's a small factor back in our favor. But its sounding like the missles don't even need to be aimed? Hard to tell, apparently no one has them on TC yet.

Apparently to hit a ground player, the weapon graphic itself has to hit. So, at best 1 of your guns will hit, and anyone not in a centerfire ship is screwed (not imps tho, since many of their ships are centerfire).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKO8OLBxNpE

I have terrible aim, I can't hit anything in a center fire ship. The shotgun effect of an x-wing should do nicely...

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=1240845#13798100

On the plus side, they're adding a little aoe to the shot. On the bizarre side, Hjal seems to think the bolt graphic determines hits in space, and not the centerpoint inbetween - which a lot of testing by pilots has shown, but that shield flares are by the bolt. Maybe Hjal will look into the code more deeply and give us the true answer.

Don't forget that with the new targeting commands they are adding for ground players and the ability to put the launcher in the hotkey, they can just run a targeting and fire macro.
Joiry_

new-ish updates:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?&topic_id=1241118

and a clarification

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?start=15&topic_id=1241118#13801872

Well, it's live. I got some incaps and one kill. I shot off about 5 chaff, never got hit by a missile.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: