View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elishen

re: 1st friday fun thread

Well since everyones seen the SW:TOR trailer and e3 is still going on I thought it'd be fun to find out some of the things we're hoping for in the new SW mmo.

Space fights
Dances
A decent looking hat
Large guns that make lots of fire
Alircs eyebrows tongue out

Alirc's eyebrows made a cameo appearance in that last trailer. they were one of the things that tried taking down that female bounty hunter. unfortunately, they were destroyed when she used her flamethrower.

RIP Alirc's eyebrows

Things I'm looking for?

Minute to no buffs (short duration buffs from spices, drinks and foods are okay but the kajillion buffs in SWG utterly ruin PvP and PvE as well as balance).

Dual wielding of pistols and one handed weapons (including sabers).

Space (challenging space PvE and balanced PvP).

PvP that revolves around skill and not on how many rows of buffs can be stacked.

Riveting quests that make you want to play the game (sorry but talking to NPC A and delivering a box of pizzas to NPC B halfway across the planet is not a riveting quest).

Balance between professions.

NO MORE FREAKIN NERFS BECAUSE A JEDI CAN'T BEAT A FREAKIN MEDIC!

I'm hoping for nothing, because I have a feeling it'll be a nice looking game with interesting environments, with totally restrictive game mechanics.

- More than one or two "non-gimped" builds per profession (ha, not likely)
- Lack of "roles" for each profession
- the baked in storyline for your class is not merely choose your own adventure with really only 3 outcomes
- not a series of linear quests

Space, if there's any combat, will probably be with stock ships that allow maybe a few "mods" is my bet.

Joiry_ wrote:
I'm hoping for nothing, because I have a feeling it'll be a nice looking game with interesting environments, with totally restrictive game mechanics.

- the baked in storyline for your class is not merely choose your own adventure with really only 3 outcomes

Space, if there's any combat, will probably be with stock ships that allow maybe a few "mods" is my bet.

why is it whenever you list your hopes for a game, it makes me wanna commit mmo suicide?

edit: alright, here's mine..
if they do do the four roles thing (which i really really hope they don't), i think it'd be cool if they let us be able to specialize each class into different roles.
for example, a jedi could be a tough melee lightsaber tank, a somewhat fragile melee lightsaber dps, a ranged force powers utility/dps, or a ranged force powers healer type. then similar stuff for the troopers and smugglers and whatever other classes there are.
and space. lots of space. and character customization that's more than just "pick one of five faces, pick one of five hairstyles, choose a skin color from a 6x6 color palette"

Krigulv Snerra wrote:
why is it whenever you list your hopes for a game, it makes me wanna commit mmo suicide?

All part of my diabolical plan to use your corpse to animate undead minions, muhahaha

Krigulv Snerra wrote:
and character customization that's more than just "pick one of five faces, pick one of five hairstyles, choose a skin color from a 6x6 color palette"

I will predict the game will have many, many character customization options. Bioware licensed the HeroEngine (as I've noted a few times in the past), which has shown a number of examples of SWG like customization.

http://www.heroengine.com/character-systems

If you look around their site enough, the random developer quotes at the top should cycle around to bioware. I also recall a press release about it being the engine for SWTOR, but I don't recall from where. You'll note they have examples of vehicles, but in this case, just on the ground.

The Heroengine was originally designed for Hero's Journey, which if it ever gets released, looks like it might be a cool game itself (but fantasy).

http://www.play.net/hj/

Not sure of the chicken and egg situation, but at some point the game was behind and it seems they are more focused on licensing their engine than finishing the original game it was designed for. On the HeroEngine site you can see that if you license the HE, a lot of "example" material is included, which comes from Hero's Journey.

just bumping a old thread for the heck of it.
Joiry_

Joiry_ wrote:

Note, I said all that 1.5 years ago. Some people may call it pessimism, I call it realism

well you got the character customization part dead wrong, so at least i know you're mortal.

Krigulv Snerra wrote:
well you got the character customization part dead wrong, so at least i know you're mortal.

Yeah, my mistake for actually looking at what the game engine was capable of and assuming Bioware would take advantage of it, instead of taking a very customizable system and dumbing it down like they did to the rest of the game. My prediction for space was also way too optimistic, in that I implicitly assumed free flight. I mean, it was not even a glimmer of a whisper of a thought that someone, in this day and age, would make space-on-rails.

Massively has a poll about free-form vs rails space, desperately trying to give a reason to vote for rails ("more exciting cinematic feel"). Too bad, the readers are sane enough to overwhelming vote for free flight.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/09/leaderboard-free-form-space-combat-vs-on-the-rails-shooter/

I don't know who the 22% are, but they suck!

Jump to: